Sunday, October 23, 2005

Teachers? - Bah Humbug!!.



"We don’t need no education.

We don’t need no thought control.
No dark sarcasm in the classroom.
Teacher, leave those kids alone.
Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!
All in all it’s just another brick in the wall.
All in all you’re just another brick in the wall."

- Pink Floyd.

With the IIPM debate raging all over the blogsphere, what struck me about this issue is not the issue per se, but my stronger reactions to this issue than anything else. This is not the first time this is happening, Free Speech has been a victim of persecution before, in public, in newspapers, in television, and why even in blogsphere with the 'Mediaah!' issue.

But my reactions are different now, I was fuming in indignation then and I am fuming with indignation now. But now its intensity is higher, stronger, and infact feels more personal. And a little reflection reveals that all this intensity is not because Gaurav resigned, No it is not. I appreciate the guy for standing by his principles but just that Its not the reason why this is personal. Nor is it because that Rashmi has got really sexist comments on her blog. I was born into a culture which talks a lot about the greatness of feminity and silently ignores when a random female gets eve-teased on the street. I am innured to its ways, and no the comments on her blog don't affect me on the scale which this issue affected me.

And btw, dict.org doesn't have any meanings for any form of the word 'eve-teased', that brings me to the question of is it so prominent in our culture that we actually need to invent a word to discuss it? But I digress.

The true reason, as introspection reveals , seems to be the fact that I feel that I am a victim of this issue. And how you may ask? How does a student of computer science, studying in an engineering college down south is affected and is the victim of a massive con-operation run somewhere in northern india by dubious academic hooligans? Well the answer is simple - I, as every student out there is part of this devious web spun by power and money, conning people into feeding crap and calling it education.

So far starters, the institution I study is fully accredited and the degrees are bonafide degrees awarded by an institution recognised by AICTE, UGC, and all the other people on these boards who sleep, jerk off and fool around with their secerateries instead of doing their jobs. Yes, in sometime I will be walking out with a degree that would proclaim me to the world as an engineer, who successfuly has faced the rigour of an 'engineering education' and is ready to take on the world. For the more yo! dude types, add a 'Give it to me baby!' here.

So why all this fuss and unnecessary ranting you may ask, well because my degree might look valuble in the eyes of a prospective employer, but my conscience would look upon it disdainfully as some piece of used toilet paper. The reason I took computer science was more personal and the so called IT boom had nothing to do with it. If computer science were in a state where it would get me janatorial positions, I would still have taken it, I took it for the sheer mental orgasms that I recieved every time I got a program working, I took it out of love... or so I thought. How naive of me!!.

The state of education is in atrophy and is getting worse. My heart pains as if a needle is being poked into it, every time I see my favourite subject being raped. Every time I hear English is a CFG. Every time I hear some fuckhead thinking (aloud, may i add) C is all computer science is about. Everytime I hear the same fuckhead talking about astrology, and claiming it to be *proven scientific fact*. Every time I hear the number 2 is neither prime nor composite, and every single time when a reference is quoted to that fact(oid?). Every single fucking time that I hear 0*0 is indeterminate. And it pains me even more to find myself helpless to do anything about it.

In a culture that puts the position of a teacher before god, is this something what we should expect? Fucked up psychotic ignoramuses for that position? As I can see, the job of a teacher is first Inspire, and then Imbibe. Not that I'vent seen good teachers (yes, I have seen one in my life so far, and thats how I can tell the difference), but everyone in the past four years of my undergraduation have been total losers. And not to mention that the fact that the curriculum is not to blame. Infact, I would personally consider the average undergraduation curriculum in computer science is pretty upto the mark. But whats the use when the whole point of 'Computer Science' is missed? When was the last time that any of us had an enthusiastic teacher, when was the last time we actually had a teacher? How many of has have met the likes of a good teacher, say someone like this guy.

Come to think of it, what is the difference between someone like me and someone from IIPM?
We get fed crap about computer science is, and they get fed crap about what management is - simple!.


Signing Off,
Vishnu Vyas.

3 comments:

FuzzyLogic. said...

No, no one can learn from bad teachers. Just that good students know to learn on their own..

And, btw, the only good teacher I had was Mr.S.Subramaniam, he taught me physics in school da (IIT/JEE).

Anonymous said...

Accredited Online College And University Find the perfect Accredited Online College And University and work toward earning your undergraduate or graduate degree! Choose from a variety of college education online programs at many different online colleges. Request information today.

FuzzyLogic. said...

actually spam means that particular post is getting good readership, and evantually a higher page rank. Thats all.